Licence per mailbox instead of per server - ORF Forums

Licence per mailbox instead of per server RSS Back to forum

Hello

This new licencing mode is not interessting when we have a lot of mailboxes.

In january, I buy 2 licences of ORF entreprise for my 2 MX Servers... I payed only 478,00 USD !!! it was amazing !

What's the new cost for my 3000 mailboxes ? I saw that Vamsoft have a special licencng program for ISP but I'm sur that I will pay more than 478,00 USD !!

So, realy bad news :-(

Best regards...

Will

by will more than 10 years ago

Agree, Will. I forwarded the email to my boss, saying that this licensing change will result in a 50-fold increase in our cost (from US$100 to over US$5,000 per year).

His response: "Start looking for a new spam filtering package."

Sorry Vamsoft, this is an extremely questionable move. I've loved your product for many years, but as a small company we can't cost-justify the per-user licensing model.

by carl.nelson more than 10 years ago

Start looking for a new spam filtering package to.

The new licencing is not interresting. The previous one was perfect.

@will: I agree with the commits 100%. I too sent Vansoft an e-mail stating that we won't be renewing after many years of being a customer. I also informed them that GFI MailEssentials Online is just $11/user/year for 100+ mailboxes. It's a hosted solution which has Anti-SPAM, Anti-Virus and Email Continuity.

by robert.hill more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@will: Will,

I understand how our renewed licensing puts you at a disadvantage. However, we are still committed to bring you the best value in the market and designed the new licensing and pricing accordingly. Just contact us at and I am sure we can come to an arrangement that works for you.

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@carl.nelson: Carl,

That is indeed a huge change, are you sure you checked the right prices and took our licensing basis into consideration? Unlike the vast majority of the industry, we license ORF per actual user and we define a 'user' as someone who has access to emails filtered by ORF. This usually translates to 'all email-enabled employees within my company'. Our typical competitor licenses per mailbox or per email address, so you usually end up with a lot higher number of licensing units.

I am quite confident the $5,000 price tag you calculated applies to some other situation (the maximum SMA list price defined on our website is $1,000). Please contact us at and we will check what price exactly applies to your company.

(in reply to this post)

@robert.hill: I have responded to that email from our Customer Service email address - I think there have been a misunderstanding regarding which price to apply (it should have been the renewal price) and the licensing basis.

(in reply to this post)

Ours went from $100/yr to $200/yr. $200 isn't too bad but its still a double hike.

It says we don't have a penalty to renew the SMA until we decide we want too? So wouldn't people just let their SMA expire and then renew when an update comes out?

Thanks,
Jean

by jean.davis more than 10 years ago

@jean.davis: As stated here this applies only to Initial Fusion licenses.
http://vamsoft.com/forum/topic/356/expired-sma

I'd say, even if the price rises it's still a really good Price and One will Look at a lot higher Price to get easy administration and really good catch rate.

Bye
Norbert

by NorbertFe more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@will: My understanding is that the licensing is per USER not per MAILBOX. In most (but not all) cases, per user would cost less than per mailbox as most environments have more mailboxes than users.

While the pricing change can be significant, it's still cheaper than many competing solutions that are not as robust. And most of those will count actual mailboxes.

At least you won't have to change before your SMA expires.

by andrew.baker more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

If I understand correctly, I can install Fusion 5 for SBS now, and then not renew in 60 days, and it will continue to work as it does now. Is that correct?

And if I do choose to renew, it is only a jump from $99 to $125 for the SBS version?

Can we still buy through the ShareIt program to get the discount credit when buying for clients? If have a $99 spiff sitting there that I cannot touch due to it not being over $100 for them to pay me.

by gregg.hill more than 10 years ago

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Peter,

The price I see for "501 - 1000" is 1.3 USD, or $1300 for 1000 users. If the per-user price stays the same for 3000 users, it would be $3900 to renew.

Unless your pricing for the guy's 3000 users is WAY LESS than 1.3USD/user, he will paying a huge chunk of money more than before.

(in reply to this post)

@jean.davis: Jean, Norbert:

Let me sum up the renewal rules change: The renewal deadline in our previous licensing model was often missed by our clients, which meant that they had to purchase a full license for $239, as opposed to the $99 SMA. This was an unreasonable penalty for just missing a deadline, so we decided that from ORF 5, we let expired SMAs to be renewed. For a number of reasons - including to make the policy fair for all - SMAs are still chained to each other, however. This means that if your SMA expires on June 1, 2013 and you renew it on September 1, 2013, the renewing SMA will be valid between June 1, 2013 and June 1, 2014, regardless the purchase date. Basically, everything happens as if you have renewed in time, without any additional penalty charges.

A few additional key points:

* SMAs can be renewed first 60 days before expiration (no change from EE)

* SMAs can be renewed after expiration. This applies to ORF Fusion and Fusion for SBS only until further notice (so not just for the first year!). The renewal can be done automatically via our website within 1 year of expiration. After more than 1 year, our Customer Service provides a custom quote for the renewal.

* When renewing ORF Enterprise Edition SMAs with ORF Fusion or ORF Fusion for SBS SMAs, you can renew an expired ORF Enterprise Edition SMA if it has been expired for less than one year. The "SMA chaining" applies here, too - that is, if your ORF Enterprise Edition expired on January 1, 2012, you renewal SMA will be valid to January 1, 2013 only.

Please let me know if you need more information.

(in reply to this post)

@gregg.hill: That is correct, you have already obtained the rights to download and use ORF Fusion and Fusion for SBS by your ORF Enterprise Edition SMA. The very purpose of SMAs is to guarantee access to any new commercial releases of ORF within their validity period and this incldues ORF Fusion and Fusion for SBS.

"And if I do choose to renew, it is only a jump from $99 to $125 for the SBS version?"

If you choose Fusion for SBS, that is also correct.

"Can we still buy through the ShareIt program to get the discount credit when buying for clients? If have a $99 spiff sitting there that I cannot touch due to it not being over $100 for them to pay me."

We have entirely switched to cleverbridge e-commerce from share-it! and we currently do not have an affiliate program. We have, however, a brand new Partner Program, which I believe may be interesting to you (learn more at http://vamsoft.com/partners/overview). I think my colleagues at http://vamsoft.com/company/contact-us#contact-partners are more qualified to answer the partner-related questions, but I can tell you we grant discounts directly now instead of the share-it! third-party account.

(in reply to this post)

@gregg.hill: That is already not $5,000, but it will not be even $3,900 due to the following:

* In the first year, we provide 30% discount automatically. Due this, the last published list price is $1 instead of $1.3 (see the Upgrade Discount row at http://vamsoft.com/support/docs/orf-5-changes#activatetab-3), so the new total would be $3,000 for a 3000-user organization.

* We are flexible and definitely do not mean you to pay a cent more than ORF is worth for you. Above 1000 users, pricing is subject to negotiation and there is room for manoeuvring even below 1000 users. All it takes is contacting us and we will find a deal that works great for you.

(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): @Peter

Thanks for summing that up for me. Definitely makes sense now.

by jean.davis more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): In reply to post 15, I sure am glad that I only have SBS clients. The per-server renewal was $99 for ORF EE, so if the rate stays the same as the 1000-user rate of $1.30/user, the person with 3000 users would now pay 3000 * $0.91 ($1.30 - 30%) = $2730, which is one big jump.

(in reply to this post)

@gregg.hill: Gregg, we understand there are huge jumps in pricing for some and we do everything to lessen the blow by negotiating on a case-by-case basis (so I cannot support your calculation, because it's just not how it works).

I should also point out that the value generated by ORF is usually proportional with the number of benefiting users. If you think about it, ORF generates vastly different value for a 5-person family business and for a 3000-employees company. If we assume ORF saves 2 hours a month for the small business, it will easily save 1200 hours for the large business. At $20 per hour, this generates $40 for the small business every month and $24,000 for the large company. Now that this difference can be expressed in the price tag, our small business clients are often getting a better deal than before ($120 instead of $239, $35 instead of $99), which we think is fair.

(in reply to this post)

Sorry ORF. Good product or not, its way too big a jump to pass on to my clients. So Ill just let their Outlook sort their spam.

I'd suggest that you will price yourself out of the game at this rate. Sorry. Been loyal for quite a few years. This is just too big a jump. And regardless of how you explain it, I still have no idea what I get for my money.

by craig.hodge more than 10 years ago

Agree with you Craig !!

Dear ORF Users,

I will try to clarify things which most people seem to misunderstand:

1. If you have an ORF Enterprise Edition SMA which expires/expired after September 8, 2012, you can already download and use ORF 5 on as many server as SMAs you have, regardless of your user count. No additional purchases required. You do not have to buy any new licenses!

2. If you have an ORF Enterprise Edition SMA which expired not more than 365 days ago (or will expire in the future), the new licensing system will affect you only when your next SMA renewal is due. We grant 30% discount from the list price of SMAs for people who upgrade to our new licensing system (ORF Enterprise Edition to ORF Fusion SMA renewal). To calculate your renewal price, please see the pricing table by clicking the PRICING button in the "SMA Upgrade Pricing" row at http://vamsoft.com/support/docs/orf-5-changes#activatetab-3

3. ORF Fusion is licensed per user and not per mailbox. By user we mean a human being who have access to ORF-filtered emails. The number of mailboxes, domain users, etc. is irrelevant. So if you have 50 people in your company with 100 mailboxes, you will need 50 Fusion SMAs only.

4. If you need licenses/SMAs for more than 1000 actual users (again, actual human being), and/or you are an ASP/ISP, we offer custom pricing. Contact us:

For more information, please read the FAQ section (you have to scroll down a bit) at http://vamsoft.com/support/docs/orf-5-changes

by Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago

The pricing change has not resulted in as much pain or turmoil as anticipated.

by andrew.baker more than 10 years ago

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2