ORF TCP Monitoring? - ORF Forums

ORF TCP Monitoring? RSS Back to forum

I am using a monitoring tool that does a simple TCP connect on port 6242 to test that a remote instance of ORF is running and responsive.

Since this instance of ORF is behind firewalls, that's the only way to connect to it.

Unfortunately, ORF does not like that the monitor connects and then simply drops the connection. It reports an error to the log and sends an email every time this happens with the following:
"Remote Access Server error while serving a request: Connection was reset by the remote peer. "

Is there a better way to monitor ORF remotely or suppress these errors?

Thank you

by aeleus 4 years ago

@aeleus: Hllo aeleus,

You will not be able to suppress the errors via ORF as the port you are poking accepts authenticated RPC calls only. Consequently, these attempts are logged and an email notification is sent to the configured email address.

If you want to receive email notifications when the ORF Service restarts or fails to restart automatically, just let me know (send an email to ) and I can send you a PowerShell script that will do just that, along with the instructions on how to run it periodically on the server.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Thanks for the response, Daniel.

I actually already have a PS script to do what you describe. I use that for other scenarios. For this scenario, I need to connect remotely and without local access to the server (administrative or otherwise).

Connecting to port 6242 seems to be the only way to remotely ensure that the ORF service is responsive. It works but generates the error I mentioned.

I also connect to port 25, but that just tells me SMTP is running.

by aeleus 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@aeleus: ORF is not an SMTP proxy but more like plug-in for your mail server so probing port 25 will only tell you whether the underlying STMP/Exchange server is still responsive or not. As of writing this, there is no socket in ORF which you could use for these kind of queries.

Can you tell me which monitoring tool are you using?

(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Currently, I'm using Pandora FMS - using a simple, remote TCP connection test. That's a limitation not of Pandora, but because under this scenario I cannot install or run anything locally on the ORF server.

I do have the option to include a string in the TCP send. So, if there is a way to gracefully close the connection, maybe that would keep the error from firing.

by aeleus 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@aeleus: Thank you for your answer aeleus. I will forward your request to our developers to see if they can come up with something to handle these connection tests differently.

(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2