Vamsoft compatibility with Exchange Online Protection - ORF Forums

Vamsoft compatibility with Exchange Online Protection RSS Back to forum

In a previous job I had Vamsoft ORF in front of an Exchange server. In that implementation, the mailflow was pretty simple, inbound hit the IIS SMTP relay with ORF, then went on to Exchange, and outbound mail flowed the same way just in reverse (Exchange>ORF/IIS SMTP Relay>Out).

Fast forward to now, we use Exchange Online Protection for virus and spam filtering but our mail is still handled by an Exchange server on premises and this is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future. I'm unhappy with the spam detection I get from EOP and I'd love to get ORF back in the loop, but I am unsure if it would work correctly with EOP in front getting all the mail and then forwarding to the on-prem Exchange server.

So I guess my two questions are, does this work (EOP>ORF>Exchange) and if not, could I put ORF on a server, change my MX to point to it first, and then route it back out to EOP for the malware scanning (ORF>EOP>Exchange)? That routing would seem kind of silly I guess but I do miss the anti-spam capability of ORF. Thanks.

by BillR 5 years ago

Hi Bill,

you could point your mx to your own server with ORF Fusion und route it back to EOP/O365. Take a look here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/mail-flow-best-practices/manage-mail-flow-on-office-365-and-on-prem
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/exchange/mail-flow-best-practices/use-connectors-to-configure-mail-flow/set-up-connectors-to-route-mail

and following articles.

HTH
Norbert

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

Hi BillR,

As NorbertFe has suggested already, you could direct the inbound traffic to your on-premises Exchange + ORF server and forward the filtered emails to EOP/O365 - that would be the best solution. You will not have to configure anything in ORF for this to work since it does not work like an SMTP gateway (it has no built-in SMTP engine to send and receive emails).

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 5 years ago

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2