ANN: ORF 6.0 Beta R04 - ORF Forums

ANN: ORF 6.0 Beta R04 RSS Back to forum

ORF 6.0 Beta R04 fixes a major bug that was found in the last beta release and improves the overall filtering performance of ORF. Learn more and download from:

https://vamsoft.com/beta/

Thank you for testing ORF.

by Greg Pósa (Vamsoft) 5 years ago

Hi Greg,

thanks for posting the new version so soon. Great work and thanks to the team. :)
Just installed the new R04 and looking good so far.

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

I installed ORF 6.0 R04 beta on Windows Server 2019 (without the Desktop Experience) running Exchange 2019 Edge Transport role. When I try to run orfeeadm.exe, I get "Runtime error 217 at 00415C6D".

Of course, I expected this to fail since ORF still requires a GUI. But, are there any plans to support this scenario: Server "core" running Edge Transport? This is an ideal use-case for ORF.

Please don't make us install the Desktop Experience on our servers!

by aeleus 5 years ago

@aeleus: Hello aeleus,

We are actually planning to add "core" support to the ORF management tools, however only in a later update, not in version 6.0 I am afraid. It will most probably be included in a minor release in Q2 2019.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Thanks for the quick response, Daniel. That's great to hear.

Just to clarify. You say you "are actually planning to add "core" support to the ORF management tools". Does this mean that is the only "missing" piece? Will you also support the ORF Service running on "core"?

When I ran orf-6.0-beta-r4.exe on Server 2019 core, it produced an error (Runtime error at 004145C9) while "Installing the ORF Service". It seemed to complete all the other installation tasks. The files are all in the "ORF Fusion" folder, but the service was not installed.

by aeleus 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@aeleus: Hello aeleus,

The ORF service cannot be installed on servers that are running in Server Core mode - even if you have an SMTP or Exchange server installed. The reason why we have not added "core" support to ORF yet is because server core installations were simply not supported by any of the Exchange roles before Exchange Server 2019 (and the IIS SMTP Server feature is not available on server core installation anymore). That said, we do plan to support Windows Server 2019 Server Core installations, so you will be able to run the ORF service on your server, but there is still plenty of work to be done.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Thank you for the clarification, Daniel. That all makes sense and is reasonable.

If it helps with priorities, I work with a lot of customers that are moving as fast as they can to core installations and even containers when possible. They are looking for solutions that work under those models first. I consider ORF's ability to filter email "before receiving" it a real advantage over other solutions. It would be great to continue suggesting ORF for these customers.

by aeleus 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@aeleus: Any further notes on this? I am trying to deploy this on a Windows Server 2019 Server Core running Exchange 2019.

by Imburr 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Also, what are my options to work around this by adding a second exchange server? I read the multi site deployment, and I am wondering if it would be viable to stand up a new Server 2019 Standard Exchange 2019 instance and cluster/dag and then deploy ORF on the GUI? Or would management of the core server still be wonky?

by Imburr 4 years ago

@Imburr: ORF 6.0 does not support server core installations, I am afraid. It runs only on Windows Servers with Desktop Experience  (GUI) - we will probably add server core support later this year, but we have no ETA yet.

In the meantime, as a workaround, we suggest you install ORF on an Exchange Edge /or/ IIS SMTP server (preferably on the network perimeter) and forward the filtered emails to your Exchange Mailbox server(s). Note that ORF is not a proxy (it has not SMTP-engine to send and receive emails) so it can be installed on any supported mail server that is receiving emails already and it will work immediately - no connector or routing changes are required.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Hi Daniel,

Any update on the status of server core support for ORF? I'm looking to deploy Exchange 2019 in the next month or two and if I can utilize server core instead of desktop that would be preferred.

Thanks!
Josh

by Josh 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Josh: Hello Josh,

Unfortunately the development of this feature would require resources that are still tied down by other ORF-related projects, so the update that was supposed to add server core support to ORF was postponed to Q1/Q2 2020 (v6.3-6.4). That said, I can assure you that we have not forgotten about your feature request and we will deliver it as soon as we can.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Daniel,

Thank you for the update and I appreciate it.

Josh

by Josh 4 years ago

Hello. I try install ORF Fusinon 6.3 on Windows Server 2019 nano with Exchange 2019 and see error "Sorry, ORF Fusion cannot be installed on Microsoft Windows Server Core."
When i can install ORF on core system?

by Serg 3 years ago

Hello Serg,

server core support was delayed and we do not currently have a definite release timeframe.

by Greg Pósa (Vamsoft) 3 years ago

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2