AD Groups with ORF - ORF Forums

AD Groups with ORF RSS Back to forum

Any idea if ORF will support AD groups for the blacklist/whitelist exception lists? It's a maintenance nightmare updating the exception list right now one by one.

by jean.davis 5 years ago

Hello jean.davis,

Although AD group based filtering is not supported currently, it might be in the future - it is not on our development roadmap as of writing this. Why do you have to exclude entire AD groups from filtering though? With the correct settings, your false-positive rate should be close to zero.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 5 years ago

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Right now the main problem we have is when users leave they get disabled. When a user is disabled they still get email. The mailbox needs to stay connected for a few months usually.

ORF has a way to block disabled users under Active Directory validation but this also includes shared mailboxes because by default those accounts are disabled. Adding an AD group with shared mailboxes here to make an exception would make things easier. Checking if user is under a OU would really be awesome.

Other options is to restrict delivery to that mailbox. This is an extra step and the message on the bounce is not ideal.

(in reply to this post)

@jean.davis: I think we could argue that blacklisting emails that are sent to shared mailboxes is not desirable in most cases, so I believe we could change the way Recipient Validation works when the "Blacklist emails sent to disabled accounts" option is enabled; i.e. ORF would not block emails sent to shared mailboxes.

Would the above-proposed solution resolve the issue you described?

(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Your proposal is even better.

(in reply to this post)

Hi Daniel,

I bet you're happy this issue was brought up earlier. ;)

Bye
Norbert

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

@jean.davis: Alright then :) I will forward your change request to our development team. If it gets the green light, you can expect to see it in a minor release in the near future.

(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Hi Daniel,

isn't this already implemented? Quote from helpfile:
Enable this option if you want to exclude mail-enabled but disabled AD accounts from the list of valid recipients, with the exception of Exchange resource mailbox accounts (i.e. room and equipment mailboxes).

by NorbertFe 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@NorbertFe: Nope. Shared mailboxes are not excluded, resource mailboxes are.

(in reply to this post)

OK, thought that i.e. included "shared mailboxes" to. ;) thanks for clarification

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Thank you. Keep up the good work.

(in reply to this post)

Sorry for bringing this up but now it's 11 months later. Was this ever implemented. The help file in 6.1.1 says no. Is it in the works soon?

I found work around but it's not nearly as nice as your suggestion and requires someone to keep up with it.

by jean.davis 4 years ago

@jean.davis: Hello jean.davis,

The next update (v6.2) will bring new features and several changes to ORF, including the one you have requested. The public beta is just around the corner so you will be able to test is soon :)

Thank you for your patience.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 4 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2