Block emails where reply to and from address are different AND sender domains are different - ORF Forums

Block emails where reply to and from address are different AND sender domains are different RSS Back to forum

Example.

I receive an email with...
Return-Path:
but the from address is...

I appreciate that there are legitimate reasons for the from and reply-to addresses to be different but not where the domains are different.
Is there a way in orf to block emails where reply-to and from come from different domains?

by gavpop 5 years ago

@gavpop: Hello gavpop,

It is not possible to compare the MIME From:, Reply-To: and Return-Path: email addresses and blacklist the email if these do not match using a regular expression, but it would not be recommended anyway, as it is absolutely legal using different addresses in these fields, so you'd block many legitimate emails as well.

by Greg Pósa (Vamsoft) 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

OK. I see your logic.

In this particular instance we had a return-path of
but the from address was

Is there a way to block this kind of abuse of reply-to and from?

by gavpop 5 years ago

@gavpop: Hello gavpop,

Yes, there is. If you do not expect receiving emails from the internet with your own domain in the "From:" header field, you should add a "header filter" to the Keyword Blacklist of ORF that will blacklist any email that has your domain in the author (From:) address. Please consult our related article for step-by-step instructions on how to do this at https://vamsoft.com/support/docs/articles/how-to-blacklist-self-spam#mime-sender-spoofing

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2