Attachment filtering exceptions - ORF Forums

Attachment filtering exceptions RSS Back to forum

Hi,

is it somehow possible to filter all office attachments except when it's received from sender ?

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

@NorbertFe: Hello Norbert,

Unfortunately this is not yet possible in ORF, but the good news is that next major release - which is scheduled for early Q4 - will introduce this feature as well.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Thanks Daniel. Than I'll have to wait and stall my users a bit. ;)

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

Would unchecking "Attachment Filtering Test" in the whitelist exception help by whitelisting the senders included in the autosender whitelist from attachmentblocking? With the risk of wrong entries in the aws list.

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

@NorbertFe: Yes, it would help. The reason I did not mention this is because this would exclude *all* whitelisted senders from Attachment Filtering, which might cause problems should the system of the trusted sender get compromised or infected.

(in reply to this post)

Yes I'm aware of that. I do have two choices at this time. ;) sending all filtered (valid) attachments to my users (kind of pita for both sides) or allowing it for aws members with the risk you mentioned.

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

I presume you have an antivirus configured to check the attachments for malware anyway, so disabling the Attachment Filtering Test in the Whitelist Test Exceptions dialog would not be that risky, but it would increase the chance of malicious files getting through, nonetheless.

Yes Antivirus is running after the encryption gateway. ;)

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Hi Daniel,

are you sure the aswl feature takes precedence over the attachment filtering agent? I cleared the checkbox in the Whitelist Test Exceptions and checked, that the sender/recipient are existent in the aswl database (SQL in my case), but still the attachments are replaced and put into quarantine. I'm running the latest ORF Fusion 5.5 on 2 Edge 2016 with CU10 (since yesterday, CU9 before).

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@NorbertFe: Yes, every whitelist takes precedence over the Attachment Filtering test when it is marked disabled in the 'Tests > Whitelist Test Exceptions' dialog. Is the Auto-Sender Whitelist (ASWL) assigned to the 'On Arrival' filtering points? Try to re-save the configuration (Ctrl + S) just to make sure that the most recent settings are used by ORF. Also, the ASWL test has three whitelist options that control for which recipients should the sender be whitelisted. You might want to double-check those settings (Whitelists > Auto Sender Whitelist > Settings).

(in reply to this post)

Hi Daniel,

I did re-save the configuration multiple time. The aswl is per recipient with a lifetime of 720h. So I guess something's not right. Can anyone check this with their own configuraiton?

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

@NorbertFe: and it's configured "before" arrival, if thats making any difference.

by NorbertFe 5 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Yep, that is the problem. Since the Attachment Blacklist runs at the On Arrival filtering point, the Auto Sender Whitelist - and any other whitelist - should be assigned to the On Arrival filtering point as well.

Please try the above and let me know whether this has fixed the problem.

OK I assigned it to both, so it should work I guess. I keep you posted.

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

Hi Daniel,

that did the trick. I can live with this configuration for now, but the Filtering exceptions would still be nice to have.

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

@NorbertFe: I am glad to hear that, and I can assure you that the Attachment Filter exceptions are in the works :)

(in reply to this post)

Hi Daniel,

looking forward to this feature. :)

by NorbertFe 5 years ago

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2