Receiving event notification errors for "unexpected exception" - ORF Forums

Receiving event notification errors for "unexpected exception" RSS Back to forum

I've seen this on a few emails the past week or so. Overall it's a small number of emails that are triggering this but I think it's worth looking into.

On Arrival error: Unexpected exception EEngineError "Error EAccessViolation updating the MIME information: Access violation at address 776D867A in module 'msvcrt.dll'. Read of address 03740000".

On Arrival error: Unexpected exception EEngineError "Error EAccessViolation updating the MIME information: Access violation at address 76CC867A in module 'msvcrt.dll'. Read of address 020F0000".

On Arrival error: Unexpected exception EEngineError "Error EAccessViolation updating the MIME information: Access violation at address 76CC867A in module 'msvcrt.dll'. Read of address 020F0000".

Guessing something is going on with the Mirosoft C runtime, we just updated to the newest version of ORF Fusion, so that may have something to do with it.

by RJohnson 7 years ago

Hello RJohnson,

I can assure you that the error message has nothing to do with your ORF update. We have been receiving sporadic reports of this particular error for some time now, but we are quite certain that it is not caused by ORF. The msvcrt.dll is not an ORF component, but a Visual C/C++ runtime library used by a Windows component called CDOSYS (which is involved in email delivery), that ORF uses to parse emails. The error is most probably caused by a bug in the CDOSYS component and seem to be triggered by heavily malformed emails. According to the reports that we have received so far, the error usually occurs only for a couple of emails then it goes away as the spammer fixes the mail format.

In any case, the error handling policy of ORF is to contain issues to the smallest possible scope, so the issue you experienced is limited to the specific emails. Make sure, however, that your resident anti-virus solution is up-to-date, so it can block any malicious payload that might be carried by the problematic emails.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 7 years ago

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2