Built-in recursive DNS resolver in 5.4 RSS

I am currently on 5.1 and will be upgrading soon to 5.4. We limit DNS queries with firewall rules to enforce using OpenDNS for content filtering. What type of firewall rule would I need to use this feature?

by mike.galbicka 2 years ago

@mike.galbicka: Hello Mike,

If you want to use the built-in DNS resolver you have to open the ports UDP/53 and TCP/53 to any internet hosts, as ORF will perform the DNS lookups recursively on its own - without the help of any external DNS server.

However, if you want to keep using an external DNS resolver and/or you cannot allow DNS traffic to any hosts (i.e. you must restrict the DNS ports to a specific nameserver), you should keep using ORF with your current settings - with the "external DNS server" option enabled: http://vamsoft.com/support/docs/orf-help/5.4/adm-dns-settings

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 2 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Then this rule would work I assume.
Orf Server IP Address -> Any External IP Address Allow UDP/TCP port 53

(in reply to this post)

@mike.galbicka: Yes, an outbound rule such as the one you described above should work just fine.

(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): I created and enabled the firewall rule then did the upgrade and enabled the built in recursive DNS resolver and all is well.

(in reply to this post)

@mike.galbicka: Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear everything is working well.

(in reply to this post)

Actually after monitoring for a few days I am noticing the DNS timeout counter is running much higher then before. It is currently set with a 12 second timeout. I also notice that DNS caching is not available with the recursive resolver.

@mike.galbicka: Hello mike,

That is correct, ORF's built-in recursive resolver has its own caching mechanism, thus you cannot share the cached DNS data with other servers (see the related ORF help topic: https://vamsoft.com/support/docs/orf-help/5.4/adm-dns). Furthermore, the built-in resolver depends on the available system resources of the underlying computer, thus it can become resource starved if the server gets overloaded.

(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

Nickname:
Email address (will not be published):
Your comment:

ORF Technical Support

Configuring, installing and troubleshooting ORF.

News & Announcements

Your dose of ORF-related news and announcements.

Everything but ORF

Discuss Exchange and system administration with fellow admins.

Feature Test Program

Feature Test Program discussion. Membership is required to visit this forum.

ORF Beta

Join the great bug hunt of the latest test release.

Customer Service

Stay Informed