Recipient blacklisted by the Reverse DNS test - ORF Forums

Recipient blacklisted by the Reverse DNS test RSS Back to forum

I'm receiving this error in the log file:

Recipient blacklisted by the Reverse DNS test (no DNS MX or A/CNAME record for domain "remoteperformance.com").

However, when I do an nslookup on the email server, the server appears to have an MX record.

remoteperformance.com MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx.remoteperformance.com
mx.remoteperformance.com internet address = 64.26.60.153

Any ideas?

by Aaron Wetherhold more than 10 years ago

Perhaps because the rDNS record for that ip doesn't match the domain.

Reverse DNS for 64.26.60.153

Preparation:
The reverse DNS entry for an IP is found by reversing the IP, adding it to "in-addr.arpa", and looking up the PTR record.
So, the reverse DNS entry for 64.26.60.153 is found by looking up the PTR record for
153.60.26.64.in-addr.arpa.
All DNS requests start by asking the root servers, and they let us know what to do next.
See How Reverse DNS Lookups Work for more information.

How I am searching:
Asking c.root-servers.net for 153.60.26.64.in-addr.arpa PTR record:
c.root-servers.net says to go to v.arin.net. (zone: 64.in-addr.arpa.)
Asking v.arin.net. for 153.60.26.64.in-addr.arpa PTR record:
v.arin.net [63.243.194.2] says to go to ns.siteprotect.com. (zone: 60.26.64.in-addr.arpa.)
Asking ns.siteprotect.com. for 153.60.26.64.in-addr.arpa PTR record: Reports mx0.mfg.onr.siteprotect.com. [from 64.26.0.23]

Answer:
64.26.60.153 PTR record: mx0.mfg.onr.siteprotect.com. [TTL 14400s] [A=64.26.60.153]

by mikeg more than 10 years ago

@Aaron Wetherhold: Is this a local domain? If yes, is the DNS server configured in ORF is the authoritative DNS for remoteperformance.com? See http://blog.vamsoft.com/2010/04/08/tales-from-tech-support-part-13-dns-issues-with-own-domain/

by Krisztian Fekete more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@MikeG
I thought the Reverse DNS test in ORF only looked for an MX or A record to exists (or only a MX record if that option is checked). I didn't think the PTR record was checked on this test. Am I wrong?

@Krisztian
No, this is not a local domain. It is a domain owned by a customer of ours.

by Aaron W. more than 10 years ago

@Aaron W.: The PTR record is checked only if the Enable Sender IP Reverse Name Validation checkbox is checked under Configuration / Tests / Reverse DNS Test, and in that case, ORF would have logged that no PTR record was found. The domain seems to have both MX and A records, so I guess it must have been some DNS related issue. Did you use the same server for nslookup as the one configured in ORF?

by Krisztian Fekete more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

I did nslookup on the same server, but this is now the second time I've had a weird DNS issue. I think one of my internal DNS server is having problems.

Thanks for the assistance.

by Aaron W. more than 10 years ago

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2