exception EVsEmbeddedBrowserError - ORF Forums

exception EVsEmbeddedBrowserError RSS Back to forum

"This object does not support this method: SpStartInitialize" i get this error when ever i try to any .exe of ORF. I have uninstalled and reinstalled orf even tried installed it over top of it and still get these errors.

by tom.ganus2 8 years ago

@tom.ganus2: Hello Tom,

ORF relies on embedded system web browsers to render rich UI in the ORF administrative components. Internet Explorer also relies on the system web browser internally and some IE settings may affect other programs (like ORF) using embedded browsers. In this case, I suspect that your Group Policy locks down IE quite hard and disables JavaScript one way or another.

To prevent conflicts between IE settings and embedded browser settings, ORF implements its own security manager and maps all internal resources to the LOCAL_MACHINE security zone. The LOCAL_MACHINE zone is quite special and its settings cannot be edited in Internet Explorer. This provides some guarantee that user settings will not affect ORF, but Group Policy and direct registry editing can still manipulate settings for this zone.

I am afraid I cannot tell which settings to look for exactly without seeing the settings myself, but if you can recall any recent IE registry changes or GPO changes, that should be a good start. In the past, we had a similar issue when "Enable MIME Sniffing" was turned off for the Local Machine Zone. A telltale sign of this is if you see raw HTML source code on the ORF user interface.

The KB article below explains some of the IE security settings in the Group Policy and provides hints on where you find them: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/182569

Let me know if this has helped.

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) 8 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Thank you for getting back with me, I have reviewed what you have said and investigated those issues. The KB article doesn’t apply to my server and the GPO we have in place do not lock IE or java down. I do not recall any IE changes that i know of besides normal windows updates.

(in reply to this post)

Is there a java version ORF needs to run properly? I did update java the other day.

@tom.ganus2: Hello Tom,

Did ORF ever work on this computer? If it did, can you think of any change to the server (e.g. Windows Updates) between the last time it worked and the issue?

Also, when you get this error and close the dialog, do you get HTML source displayed in the ORF tool windows?

In any case, the problem definitely has to do with the LOCAL_MACHINE security zone settings. Can you please send us a screenshot of all keys or an export of your registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\0 to ? Be sure to open the registry editor with user experiencing this issue.

(in reply to this post)

@tom.ganus2: No, ORF does not require Java. ORF displays embedded HTML content, however, and interacts with that HTML using JavaScript, much like a website. JavaScript and Java have misleadingly similar names, but they have nothing to do with each other really and you do not need Java to run JavaScript.

(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): I have sent the email to you guys with the attachments and yes this has worked on the server perfectly for some time now. I will have to contact the other users that manage this server as well to see what else has changed. Thank you

(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2