Anything coming down the pipe? - ORF Forums

Anything coming down the pipe? RSS Back to forum

It has been a while since 5.3 was released, is there anything new and exciting happening in ORF's future? Would love to get any updates as to upcoming features, betas, or whatever. I follow the company on twitter and check the blog and haven't seen anything lately. Any news would be appreciated. Thanks!

by felipe.garcia 9 years ago

@felipe.garcia: Hi Felipe,

Sure, here is what we are up to these days:

* We have updated the SPF client in ORF from the ages old pre-RFC version to the latest 2014 version of the standard (RFC7208). The practical impact of this is a more lenient error handling policy on DNS issues, so ORF will be able to evaluate more SPF policies. The SPF client also received full IPv6 support (that doesn't mean the next version will come with IPv6 support, but that there's one less roadblock to achieve that). The new engine will be introduced to our web-based SPF services in the coming weeks and it will provide much improved experience with better syntax validation and policy evaluation logging.

* A minor addition is that the ORF Admin Tool will prompt for approving any pending Remote Control submissions before saving the configuration -- these are very easy to overlook and cause some confusion in our experience.

Of course, that's not all we did, but the rest is mostly behind the scenes work. We are dedicating much of the effort in this development cycle to original research and we have a few ideas that show promise. We are seeking to involve ORF clients in evaluating the real-life performance of these ideas and we have started working on an ORF External Agent called the Labs Agent. We plan to make this agent publicly available to enable you to try the latest ideas from Vamsoft and at the same time allow to us collect performance metrics and supporting data to evaluate the value added to the existing set ORF technologies.

I wouldn't comment on the release dates yet, but as far as the ORF product is concerned, we'll likely release only after another larger feature is added. The Labs Agent project has just started, but the plan is to follow a rapid release lifecycle and start with a minimum viable version only that includes a small set of experiments, gradually extending over time.

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) 9 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Wow, thanks for that very detailed post. Exciting to hear about the amount of new features and development that is going into future releases. I am sure I speak for everyone when I saw that the userbase is anxious to get their hands on some of these new items. I was a bit worried the silence on what's been taking place ment there was a lull in new features. Looks like I was wrong! Excellent news and thanks again for going into all of those specifics. Most excited by the better SPF handling!

by felipe.garcia 9 years ago
(in reply to this post)

what about my idea from here ... http://vamsoft.com/forum/topic/596/honeypot-test---block-email-address-instead-of-ip

any chances of developing this feature ?

by tomasz.sokolowski 9 years ago

@tomasz.sokolowski: Product worked well but is severely falling behind now. I'm starting to think this is a dead product...

by Dwayne 8 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Dwayne: Actually, ORF is very much alive: development plans are still as outlined above and we are doing the finishing touches on the other major feature I mentioned above. A public beta is coming soon and Labs Agent some time after that. The snowshoe spam affecting our US clients badly required us to take a detour with Labs Agent development, which is adding significant delays to the expected schedule, unfortunately. On the other hand, we will be likely able to address that issue soon more effectively than we do today.

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) 8 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Hi Peter,
Excited to hear more on when we can expect release of the new SPF implementation to Fusion. I'm starting to get a lot of softfail errors here in North America now to the point were I've had to un-check blacklisting of -softfail results. It's either that or I let my other ORF junior admins blindly whitelist everything that our users complain about without them (the admins) really understanding how ORF (and it's checks) work... :-)

by Barry George 8 years ago

@Barry George: Hello Barry,

We do not have an exact release date yet, however I can assure you that our developers are working super hard to bring you a high quality update soon. Regarding the softfail errors: Unfortunately, this is not something we can influence as the result of the SPF test depends on the content of the published SPF record, which is controlled by the publisher (the domain owner) of the SPF policy. We should see less softail errors in the future as admins work out their SPF issues and configure records with hard fail “-all”.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 8 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2