Question/help with SPF Record - ORF Forums

Question/help with SPF Record RSS Back to forum

So I used the sites below to create and test the SPF record for my domain.

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/
http://mxtoolbox.com/spf.aspx
http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html

Here is my SPF record: v=spf1 a mx ip4:69.73.181.186 ?include:comcast.net ~all

This past Saturday morning I got a system message warning in the ORF logs that said:

"Error checking the SPF policy of domain "surrealmirage.com": The requested A/MX record was not found for "surrealmirage.com"."

I believe my SPF record is setup properly; the only questionable thing I noticed is that some of the tools say the record is setup as a TXT record in DNS, vs. an actual SPF record. I'm not sure if the warning I saw in ORF is related to a DNS error or if something is truly not configured properly with my SPF record.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
Josh

by Josh 9 years ago

@Josh: Is the local DNS server configured in ORF the authoritative DNS server for your domain?

http://blog.vamsoft.com/2010/04/08/tales-from-tech-support-part-13-dns-issues-with-own-domain/

by Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft) 9 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft): Hi Krisztián,

No, my local DNS server is not the authoritative DNS server for my domain. The email came in at 2:10 am local time, so I don't know if my hosting provider that has the authoritative DNS server was down or performing maintenance at the time.

Do you have a recommendation of a tool/website where I could try sending an email with my email address in the from line to see if ORF blocks it using the SPF test? If it doesn't block it then I know have some sort of configuration issue vs. a fluke problem.

Thanks
Josh

by Josh 9 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Josh: I tested your domain using nslookup and I was able to successfully query your MX, A and SPF records, so either your authoritative DNS was down when ORF tested, or there is something wrong with the local DNS server configured for the ORF lookups.

As for testing, I doubt there is a service like that (spammers would abuse it). You can test the policy without sending emails on our website (it uses the same evaluation process as ORF):

http://vamsoft.com/support/tools/spf-policy-tester

Also, as your current SPF policy ends with a SoftFail qualifier (~all), ORF will block emails which fail on the SPF test only if you configure it to "Blacklist emails on SPF SoftFail" (http://vamsoft.com/r?o-hto-adm-spfsettings), or if you change the policy to Fail (-all).

(in reply to this post)

@Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft): Krisztián,

Thanks for the information and links. I ran the ip address in your spf tester and it soft failed. I have ORF configured to block based on SPF soft fail.

What is your opinion on configuring the SPF record as soft fail vs. fail? Based on some of the articles and information I read, it was suggested to setup the SPF record as soft fail, but those may have been older articles before SPF records were more widely implemented.

Thanks again
Josh

by Josh 9 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Josh: According to the SPF standards, SoftFail should be used temporarily in testing/transition periods only. For example:

1. You publish an SPF policy (ending with -all) which allows only your MXs to send emails in the name of your domain (v=spf1 mx -all).
2. Someone tries to spoof your domain, recipient A checks your SPF record via a public DNS server. It returns your SPF record and caches the query result.
3. Recipient B (using the same DNS service) also receives an email which spoofs your domain. Instead of querying the authoritative DNS of your domain again, the DNS server returns the query result it cached earlier. That is OK, since the SPF policy has not been changed in between the two queries.

Now, let's assume you create a website, hosted by a third-party provider. The website will send newsletters and confirmation emails using the hosting provider's mail server. You want these emails to be sent with your domain name, so you will need to add the hosting provider's mail server(s) to the SPF policy as allowed senders. You modify the SPF policy to v=spf1 mx include:hostingprovider.com -all

Problem: your website sends an email from the mail server of the hosting provider to recipient C, but when it queries your SPF record, it receives your old, outdated (cached) SPF record, and the email gets rejected (since the third party server is not allowed as a sender by the old policy).

That is when SoftFail comes into play. To avoid the problem, you should

1. Switch your SPF policy to SoftFail first (transition period): v=spf1 mx ~all. Wait a bit so the previous SPF record "wears off" in DNS caches.
2. Modify the SPF policy, but keep it SoftFail: v=spf1 mx include:hostingprovider.com ~all. Wait a bit so the previous SPF record "wears off" in DNS caches.
3. Now you can switch your new SPF policy to Fail: v=spf1 mx include:hostingprovider.com -all

So basically, the above scenario is what SPF SoftFail was meant to address. Unfortunately, many people don't care and keep their SPF policy indefinitely in the SoftFail state, because they are not sure what they are doing and want to play it safe. Of course, It is understandable to use SoftFail if you are a huge provider with constantly changing MXs like Gmail (i.e., they are constantly in transition), but if your MXs change rarely, it does not make any sense, and you will not stop spoofing (since, according to standards, SPF client should accept emails on SoftFail, thus spoofed emails will be allowed in).

Personally, I always recommend all of our clients to use "-all", so they explicitly tell others which hosts are authorized to send emails with their domain name.

(in reply to this post)

@Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft): Krisztián,

Thank you for the detailed info and reply. I'll change my SPF record to "-all".

Josh

by Josh 9 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2