Question about "Before Arrival" & "After Arrival" tests - ORF Forums

Question about "Before Arrival" & "After Arrival" tests RSS Back to forum

Our ORF 4.4 had all tests possible set as before arrival. I was inherited this machine so these were set by my predeccessor.

With my migration to Exchange 2010 I'm also using ORF 5.1, I have noticed alot of the default settings on this version is set to "after arrival".

I know what they mean but why would someone choose 1 option over the other? Why does ORF default mostly to "after arrival"? What are the advantages and disadvantages of one over the other?

Thanks a bunch,
Jean

by Jean more than 10 years ago

@Jean: Both filtering points have legitimate uses, but Before Arrival is usually preferred for its efficiency (it will prevent the email from being transmitted). Also, some things are simply better done at Before Arrival, like running the Recipient Validation or the DHA Protection tests.

However, Before Arrival is not always available. In fact, there are quite many conditions that must be met if you want to use all possible tests at Before Arrival -- see http://vamsoft.com/support/docs/how-tos/best-practices-5.1#bp-fps regarding this.

Early ORF versions defaulted to Before Arrival, but based on feedback from our clients we have long changed the default to On Arrival, because it's hard to make a mistake with that.

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Thank you again. The documents are well crafted.

by Jean more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2