Exchange swing migration to new servers - ORF Forums

Exchange swing migration to new servers RSS Back to forum

I am swing migrating my on site Exchange 2000 server which currently runs ORF Fusion 5.0. I have installed and configured Exchange 2003 on an ESXi 4.1 virtual machine running Windows Server 2003 and will begin moving mailboxes to it soon. I would like to get Fusion running on it with the same configuration and sharing the same SQL db's. Once all of the mailboxes are moved and everything is running smoothly the Exchange 2000 server will be completely decommissioned and taken offline. Then I will build an Exchange 2010 virtual machine running Windows Server 2008 R2 and repeat the process to finish the swing migration. My Exchange servers will be standalone hosting all the roles.

What is the best way to configure ORF migration in this scenario?

by mike.galbicka more than 10 years ago

@mike.galbicka: First, I'd turn the Exchange 2000 instance into a Publisher server, with the Windows 2003 being its Subscriber (see our Multi-Server Usage Guide: http://vamsoft.com/r?multi-server-guide). When you are about to shut down the Windows 2000 server, click the Unsubscribe button on the Subscriber server first (Administration Tool: System / Configuration Subscription page): ORF will offer you to create a local configuration from the Publisher configuration and the localized paths & features. Click Yes to do so. Now you can shut down the former publisher. Now repeat the above process, now with the Windows 2003 server acting as the Publisher and the Windows 2008 Server with Exchange 2010 acting as the Subscriber.

Easy as pie :)

by Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft): Also, bear in mind that the publisher and subscriber servers must run the same ORF version, so if you plan to upgrade to ORF 5.1, I recommend doing that on the Windows 2000 server first (before installing ORF 5.1 on the Windows 2003 server):

http://vamsoft.com/r?o-upgrade-guide

by Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Krisztián Fekete (Vamsoft): Thanks. Looking through the migration guides I thought that would be the best process but wanted to verify that I wasn't missing something. Appreciate the help.

by mike.galbicka more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2