Spam Rate Percentage on Reporting Tool - ORF Forums

Spam Rate Percentage on Reporting Tool RSS Back to forum

I was curious how the Spam Rate was being determined on the Reporting tool?
If I see the help, it shows that the Spam rate is "Ratio of spam to legitimate emails. The higher this rate is the more spam was caught."

Here is the info I have:
Approximate number of emails checked 14,134 100.00%
Approximate number of emails blacklisted 7,886 55.79%
Approximate number of emails whitelisted 2,832 20.04%
Approximate number of emails passed checks 3,416 24.17%
Spam Rate 69.78%

I cannot figure out how the 69.78% is created. Wouldn't it be 7886 (Spam Emails) divided by 6248 (Whitelisted and Passed Checks Emails)?

The numbers just don't quite add up. Can someone explain it to me?
I can see taking the Spam Emails and dividing by the emails checked. That would be around 55% though.

Any help is appreciated.

by mfawcett more than 10 years ago

@mfawcett: Hi,

The rate is calculated as Emails Blacklisted / (Total Emails - Whitelisted Emails) * 100. The reason for subtracting whitelisted emails from the total number of emails is that these may include outbound emails, which is naturally free of spam traffic. ORF does not really have a concept of inbound/outbound email traffic, but relies on whitelist rules to skip filtering outbound emails. Due to this, either we include whitelisted emails nor not, the figure can be distorted, so it's just a choice we made.

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Spam Rate = Emails Blacklisted / (Total Emails - Whitelisted Emails) * 100 ;)

by Max 7 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Max: Hah, good catch :) I have updated Peter's post accordingly.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 7 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2