Can't refresh view in ORF Log Viewer if running too long - ORF Forums

Can't refresh view in ORF Log Viewer if running too long RSS Back to forum

In version 5.0, if I leave the ORF Log Viewer window up for some time (at least 4 hours, but I haven't tested exactly how long) then when I attempt to refresh to see the current logs, it complains that it might need to login.

"There was an error while loading the log. Login is required to perform this operations (login may have been expired)."

I have to close the entire log viewer and re-open it again, or go to the "Connect To" screen. It doesn't just automatically connect (or reauthenticate) to the current server.

I used to be able to keep the older Log Viewer (4.x) open indefinitely and refresh whenever I needed. So far, I have only tested this remotely.

by andrew.baker more than 10 years ago

@andrew.baker: Inactive remote ORF session expire in 60 minutes, which causes exactly the behavior you described. If you e.g. refresh the logs in the 59th minute, the session will be considered active again for 60 minutes. This is a security/resource management measure in the ORF Service and will affect remote sessions only. Local sessions do not feature such expiration control.

The session timeout can be edited in the configuration, but unfortunately no setting is available for this on the user interface. The orflocal.ini file has an [RpcServer] section which stores your remote access settings. Add the SessionTimeoutMsecs key to this section to change the timeout limit, e.g. SessionTimeoutMsecs=86400000 will increase the session timeout 24 hours (24 * 60 * 60 * 1000 milliseconds). Be sure to reinitialize the ORF Service with the new configuration to apply the configuration changes (restart the service or run 'orfeesvc -updateconfig').

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Thanks for the response, Péter.

I understand the desire to limit resources, and I'm not looking for the session to be maintained consistently throughout that time, but it would be nice if a simple refresh performed a reconnection so that I didn't have to leave the screen, reconnect to the server, reopen the log screen and reselect the desired filter.

The behavior is even more awkward with the admin console, as you have to disconnect to reconnect, because it thinks it is still connected. This is especially problematic if you made config changes but forgot to save them inside the 60 min window.

The desired behavior would be to keep the current timeout of 60 min for a remote session, but automatically re-reestablish the logon upon a refresh or selection change.

Thoughts?

-ASB: http://XeeMe.com/AndrewBaker

@andrew.baker: This behaviour is indeed a bit awkward and I understand how it falls short of your expectations. During the pre-release testing, this has been identified as a usability issue, but the technical side of implementing such 'reconnect' feature is far from trivial, so this has been postponed for a future ORF release. Now that ORF 5 is released, I think we can revisit the issue.

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Thanks, Péter

(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2