sonicwall RSS

I turned on the RBL on my sonicwall and it appears that ORF is no longer filtering??? When I bring up my orf log viewer there are no entries after the time I enabled the RBL on my firewall.

by mark 8 years ago

I don't recall if ORF logs anything whitelisted due to a private or immediate host IP address. If not: is the firewall now acting as an SMTP proxy (stamping its own IP address) rather than a mere pass-through filter (retaining the original "Related IP" / "mail from" IP hop)?

by Frank Bernard 8 years ago

@mark: I share Frank's suspicion: Sonicwall probably rewrites the email header, so ORF thinks all emails are originated from the firewall, and since it is considered a trusted host, it ignores them.

Could you paste a sample email header please so we could check the delivery hops? The MIME header can be retrieved by selecting View | Options in Outlook ("Internet Headers"). Here are some instructions on how to get the MIME headers from other email clients: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

Do you have any tests assigned to On Arrival (Configuration / Tests / Tests)? If yes, ORF should at least log "email whitelisted" at On Arrival... Are you sure the ORF Service is running?

Also, I suggest turning on logging Before Arrival whitelistings and passes to see if any emails passing through the Before Arrival stage (Configuration / Global / Log and events, ORF Text Log > Configure, Events tab).

by Krisztian Fekete (ORF Team) 8 years ago
(in reply to this post)

I set the firewall up as an intermediate host and I am now seeing entries in the log file! Thanks!

by mark 8 years ago

@mark: Glad to hear the problem has been solved :)

by Krisztian Fekete (ORF Team) 8 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

Nickname:
Email address (will not be published):
Your comment:

ORF Technical Support

Configuring, installing and troubleshooting ORF.

News & Announcements

Your dose of ORF-related news and announcements.

Everything but ORF

Discuss Exchange and system administration with fellow admins.

Feature Test Program

Feature Test Program discussion. Membership is required to visit this forum.

ORF Beta

Join the great bug hunt of the latest test release.

Customer Service

Stay Informed