How can I block these types of emails?? - ORF Forums

How can I block these types of emails?? RSS Back to forum

Whats the best way to go about blocking a certain type of spam. We get dozens of emails with the subject of: Newsletter Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:44:34 +0200

THe sender, IP and time/date at the end of the subject is always different and I dont wan to block all emails with Newslettter in the subject .

Version: 4.4 REGISTERED
Log Mode: Verbose
Server: FS-MAIL.srf.ca
Source: SMTPSVC-1
Time: 4/20/2011 9:42:17 PM
Class: Pass
Severity: Information
Actions: (not available)
Filtering Point: On Arrival
HELO/EHLO Domain: (not available)
Related IP Address: 41.199.62.122
Message ID: (not available)
Email Subject: Newsletter Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:44:34 +0200
Sender:
Recipient(s):

by Dan more than 10 years ago

Forgot to mention. Most of these emails are being rejected, but about 1/4 of them are getting by ORF>

@Dan: You can use a very specific Keyword Blacklist regular expression against these (with Subject scope).

^Newsletter \w{3}, \d{1,2} \w{3} \d{4} \d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2} \+\d{4}$

This builds up as:

* ^Newsletter: Starts with with the "Newsletter" string
* \w{3}: Exactly three "word" characters (letters, numbers and the underscore character)
* \d{1,2}: One or two digits
* [...]
* \+: The + character (must be escaped as \+, because "+" alone is a special character in regular expressions)
* $: The string must end here, i.e. no characters expected between the last \d{4} and the end of the data.

Note that the above regular expression was constructed specifically for the "Newsletter Thu, 21 Apr 2011 03:44:34 +0200" format and any format changes, even just an extra whitespace somewhere will render the filter useless.

by Peter Karsai (ORF Team) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Peter Karsai (ORF Team): Thanks a lot Peter!

(in reply to this post)

@Dan: I am glad to hear it helped, please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

by Peter Karsai (ORF Team) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2