Planning a swing migration / upgrade with external SQL databases - ORF Forums

Planning a swing migration / upgrade with external SQL databases RSS Back to forum

We have ORF 5.5.1 on our single MX server (Exchange Edge) in our DMZ it is Windows 2012/Exchange 2010 Edge role. This uses an external SQL Express database on a different server in the DMZ to store the four databases (Auto sender whitelist, Greylisting, DHA and Honeypot.

We need to upgrade so here is my plan:

Phase 1 – coexistence
1. Build new MX server.
2. Install Exchange Edge on it.
3. Install ORF 6.2.1 and subscribe to first server.
4. Publish new public DNS MX secondary record so email can be sent there. Use a lower priority at first. At this point inbound email will hit either server; the old ORF will be the publisher.

Phase 2 – change mail flow
1. Change our Exchange Edge to sent outbound emails from the new ORF server.
2. Verify for a few hours.
3. Change the public DNS MX record priority putting the new one higher, it will be the primary MX now.
4. Verify for a few hours.

Phase 3 – Retire old MX /ORF server
1. Swap the ORF publisher/subscriber roles so that the new ORF server is the publisher.
2. Remove the original public DNS MX record. The new ORF server will be the only one receiving emails.
3. Remove the ORF publisher configuration.
4. Remove the original Exchange Edge and then ORF servers

Questions:
Will the SQL express databases work with two ORF versions? If not, I must upgrade the original ORF from 5.5.1 to 6.2.1 first.

Can you give any other guidance?

by Derwood 3 years ago

The other option I am considering is to install ORF 5.5.1 on the new MX server. Then at a later time upgrade ORF.

by Derwood 3 years ago

@Derwood: Hello Derwood,

Yes, ORF 5.5.1 and ORF 6.2.1 can share the same SQL database and both will be able to filter emails just fine.

That said, I think it would be best to upgrade the existing ORF server to v6.2.1 first, then installing ORF 6.2.1 on the new MX and finally, migrating the ORF configuration from the old server to the new one.

Or, you can skip the upgrade of the existing ORF server, in which case you should install v5.5.1 on the new MX, migrate the configuration, and then upgrade to ORF 6.2.1.

In any case, you should consult our migration guide before you try to move anything: https://vamsoft.com/support/docs/how-tos/migration-6.2.1

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have further questions.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 3 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2