ANN: ORF 5.5 Beta R01 - ORF Forums

ANN: ORF 5.5 Beta R01 RSS Back to forum

The first public preview release of ORF 5.5 is now available. Learn more and download from:

https://vamsoft.com/beta/

Thank you for testing ORF.

by Greg Pósa (Vamsoft) 6 years ago

Hello Greg,

thanks for the info. The announcement site is missing the expiration date. ;)
Can you please post this, so that we know when to update again.

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

@NorbertFe: OK found out by installing it. May 14th 2018

by NorbertFe 6 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Hi,
"Option to blacklist emails sent to disabled accounts"
Ressource Mailboxes are disabled by default. Can this distinguish between an disabled "Usermailbox" and a "RessourceMailbox"? If not, than this fact should be a prominent info at the recipient filter tab.

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

Hello Norbert,

the LDAP query that ORF uses does not match resource mailboxes. In addition internal or external authenticated (via SMTP) emails sent to resource mailboxes are not filtered by ORF.

I've updated the beta page with the expiration date, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

by Greg Pósa (Vamsoft) 6 years ago

Hi Greg,

Than there should be an info, because that can cause loss of legit emails.
Btw. The logview for multiple servers is working fine. Can you tell, if that works in both directions (Publisher to subscriber, an Subscriber to publisher)? It seems, only the first one is working for me. Are there plans for multiple server report support?

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

Another issue:
List item control

This seems not to apply to the EHLO blacklist entries.

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

Thank you for the great feedback Norbert.

Although Greg has provided the answer already, I ran a quick test in our lab, I can confirm that Recipient Validation will block any incoming external email that is sent to a resource mailbox address - if - the new RV setting is enabled and the account is disabled. Still, I am having a hard time coming up with a situation in which this could cause problems. As far as I understand resource mailboxes are used to regulate/schedule access to company resources (e.g. conference rooms, equipment etc.) via the Outlook (calendar) or the Outlook Web App, so I think its safe to assume that emails sent to these type of accounts will be either internal or authenticated, and thus excluded from filtering (ORF does not filter intranet and SMTP authenticated emails).

With regard to the multi-server feature of the Log Viewer, you must enable and configure remote access on ORF server you wish to connect to (ORF Admin Tool > System > Remote Access) beforehand. The configuration subscription relationship between the ORF installations does not matter in this case.

As for the missing list control from the user-defined HELO domain blacklist, I believe this is something we can easily add - and to be honest, should have been added in my opinion as well. I will talk to the dev team regarding this. Thank you for the tip!

Regards,
Daniel

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 6 years ago

Oh yes, and we do plan adding multi-server support to the ORF Reporting Tool as well - no ETA yet, though :)

Hi Daniel,

it is possible per default to address ressource mailboxes from extern. Usually you have to configure them to process those external messages. Thats why I thought of adding this info to the newly added Validation Tab.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/mailboxes/set-calendarprocessing?view=exchange-ps
-ProcessExternalMeetingMessages

Looking forward to R02 with the fixed EHLO Blacklist.
Thanks for the info regarding multi-server support for the reporting tool. :)

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

Thank you for the info Norbert. Once I have an update on these issues, I will post it here right away.

Hi Daniel,

thank you. :)
Can you meanwhile explain how to use this new feature "Verbose header tags"?

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

@NorbertFe: Of course. You can use this feature by adding the {TESTNAME} special field to the header tag in the 'On Arrival Actions' settings dialog (Filtering > Actions > On Arrival - Edit button). You may add it by clicking the down-pointing triangle at the right side of the header tag box and then selecting "Add field: Test name".

(in reply to this post)

Hi Daniel,

I guess that only is of value if the default action isn't reject, right?

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

Correct, you need to accept the email in order to modify any part of it. If you choose the 'Reject email' option, ORF will simply drop the blacklisted email.

@NorbertFe: Hello Norbert,

Just a quick update: version R02 is about to be released, today. Both of the problems that you brought up have been fixed by the devs. Thank you again for bringing our attention to these issues.

Regards,
Daniel

(in reply to this post)

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the info. Looks good, but I can not test the recipient validation because of Exchange Edge Role installation. Did the devs fix this in general, recipient mailboxes are still receiving mails?

Regards
Norbert

by NorbertFe 6 years ago

The R02 update only changes how the Recipient Validation test works, so when the "Blacklist emails sent to disabled accounts" option is enabled, ORF will blacklist any email that is sent to a mailbox associated with a disabled AD account, but it will *not* blacklist the emails that are addressed to resource mailboxes. The relevant help page has been updated with this information as well.

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2