Troubleshooting occasional LDAP errors RSS

Hi all,

I'm getting occasional errors with LDAP as below ...

Error validating the recipient "" (source: Active Directory). Detecting the LDAP root path has failed. If this computer is not part of a domain, please configure the LDAP path manually in ORF.

I think it might be linked to an increased volume of emails/spam and the LDAP connection is struggling with performance.
How can I troubleshoot this or look further into improving this?

by tomasz.sokolowski 1 year ago

@tomasz.sokolowski: Hello Tomasz,

Unfortunately, I cannot tell whether this was a temporary issue or not - but it might very well be related to some system resource issue caused by the increased traffic you mentioned - so you should monitor the logs for a while. To avoid further incidents like this I suggest you manually set the LDAP root path in ORF:

1. Start the ORF Administration Tool and connect to the local or a remote instance
2. Navigate to the Blacklists > Recipient Validation page
3. Choose Microsoft Active Directory as validation source from the drop-down menu
4. Click the Configure Selected button
5. Specify the LDAP root manually – if you have multiple domains, use the LDAP path to the Global Catalog server (without a trailing slash)
6. Select the Authentication tab, and enter the user credentials to authenticate with the AD server
7. Click OK and save the ORF configuration (Ctrl + S) to apply the new settings.

In addition to the above, make sure that the DNS server(s) configured in ORF is working properly:

1. Navigate to the System > DNS page
2. Click the Health Check button
3. Click the Run Test button – all DNS queries should pass the test
4. In case the DNS Health Check fails, make sure that your network configuration allows UDP and TCP-based DNS lookups to complete (this can be tested using the Windows nslookup command-line tool) and verify that the UDP/53 and TCP/53 ports are open on your firewall - including the Windows Firewall on the ORF server itself.

I hope this helps.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 1 year ago
(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Hi Daniel,

I've put validation to manual. Let see if this helps.

DNS Health Check result is all Pass.

Where in AD can I look for recipient validation issues ? Would this generate specific event code ?

(in reply to this post)

@tomasz.sokolowski: Although I am no AD expert, I believe the following resources might prove helpful to you in investigating this issue.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961809.aspx

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/9045a229-6c08-480b-b4d8-a04e21616a3e/how-to-check-for-ldap-problems-logs-events-etc?forum=winserverDS

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 1 year ago
(in reply to this post)

@Daniel Novak (Vamsoft): Thank you Daniel.

(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

Nickname:
Email address (will not be published):
Your comment:

ORF Technical Support

Configuring, installing and troubleshooting ORF.

News & Announcements

Your dose of ORF-related news and announcements.

Everything but ORF

Discuss Exchange and system administration with fellow admins.

Feature Test Program

Feature Test Program discussion. Membership is required to visit this forum.

ORF Beta

Join the great bug hunt of the latest test release.

Customer Service

Stay Informed