Installation on edge not recognizing Exchange - ORF Forums

Installation on edge not recognizing Exchange RSS Back to forum

Hi,

I just installed ORF 4.4 on a new Exchange 2007 Edge Server, but ORF does not recognize the Exchange installation. So I can not configure or even start the configuration. Is there anything I can do to make it work?

BTW: TP R4 has the same problem.

by NorbertFe more than 10 years ago

@NorbertFe: Do you have the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\EdgeTransportRole registry key present in your registry? ORF detects Exchange 2007 by checking this registry key.

by Krisztian Fekete (ORF Team) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

Yes that key is present. (including a watermark entry?)

@NorbertFe: what version of Windows are you using? If it's a 64bit system, please check HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\EdgeTransportRole as well (see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305097).

(in reply to this post)

At this location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0 only the AdminTools Key exist. Should I enterEdgeTransportRole manually?

OK, adding EdgeTransportRole to the above registry key did the trick. Than I followed http://www.vamsoft.com/mex8upgrade.asp for registering the transport agents and all works fine.

Thanks
Norbert

@NorbertFe: I don't know if that will solve it... Something must have went south during the Exchange installation, otherwise you'd have an EdgeTransportRole key with ConfiguredVersion and UnpackedVersion subkeys.

(in reply to this post)

@NorbertFe: OK, glad to hear that adding the key manually solved the problem :)

(in reply to this post)

@Krisztian Fekete (ORF Team): The configuredVersion and unpackedVersion subkeys only exists under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0

(in reply to this post)

@NorbertFe: I asked one of our developers: he said ORF checks whether the HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Exchange\v8.0\EdgeTransportRole key exists, it does not care about the subkeys, so you should be fine as far as ORF is concerned. I do not know if this may cause any problems in Exchange though.

(in reply to this post)

Just one last question. I remember, that installing ORFEE on an Edge Server means you can not use the Recipient Validation because its done via ADAM. So it would be greyed out. But on this installation it is a selectable option. Any hints how I can fix that? ;)

Bye
Norbert

It willl not be greyed out, but since the AD cannot be queried from the Edge server (and ORF does not support ADAM as of writing this), it will not work (only if you use an SQL or TXT source for the valid recipient address list. For more info, please visit http://blog.vamsoft.com/2010/03/01/tales-from-tech-support-part-11-honeypot-on-edge-servers/

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2