Protected Sky - ORF Forums

Protected Sky RSS Back to forum

I have a number of spam mails coming in which not blacklisted by any of Vamsoft's built in DNS blacklists. mxtoolbox reports that only Protected Sky blacklists it. Can I add Protected Sky? It requires a dig command with reverse IP address. So I suspect ORF is not able to utilize it. The brief instruction on their website is:-

User@Host:~$ dig 2.0.0.127.bad.psky.me +short
User@Host:~$

by bryan.ferguson 7 years ago

@bryan.ferguson: Hello Bryan,

ORF will be able to utilize the Protected Sky DNSBL just fine. The DNS query sample that you quoted from their website is just an example that happened to be made in a Unix/Linux system, hence the "dig" command. However, you could successfully test their service using any other DNS lookup tool as well (e.g. host, nslookup etc). For example:

> nslookup 2.0.0.127.bad.psky.me
Server: <omitted>
Address: <omitted>
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: 2.0.0.127.bad.psky.me
Address: 127.0.0.2

If you want to add the Protect Sky DNSBL to the list of DNSBLs in ORF, start the ORF Administration Tool, navigate to the 'Blacklists > DNS Blacklists' page and click 'New' to invoke the DNS Blacklist Properties dialog. Then, complete the DNSBL definition as described in our related article at http://vamsoft.com/support/docs/orf-help/5.4/adm-dnsblacklistproperties, enable the new DNSBL, and save the ORF configuration (Ctrl + S) to apply the new settings.

Before you do any of this however, I would strongly suggest that you make sure ORF is using the latest DNSBL definitions, available at http://vamsoft.com/support/docs/knowledge-base/update-dnsbl-surbl.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 7 years ago
(in reply to this post)

I have set up a new DNSBL and have put in the minimum to get it working. Thanks for the info!

by bryan.ferguson 7 years ago

@NorbertFe: Good catch!

I am quite sure they pull data from other DNSBLs as well and/or have their own sources too - based on the results of my previous queries. Cannot comment on the false-positive rate though, as we have not actually used or tested their DNSBL. Unless they clear up their game, we will certainly not recommend using PSKY.

by Daniel Novak (Vamsoft) 7 years ago
(in reply to this post)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2