SPF error - ORF Forums

SPF error RSS Back to forum

I am getting an SPF error with the emeralddoors.co.uk domain though it seems to pass any other SPF validation.
As there are no specific server IPs listed in the SPF 'v=spf1 +a +mx -all' is ORF being a little too fussy?

by simon.rochester 8 years ago

@simon.rochester: Hello Simon,

That SPF policy syntactically valid and the DNS references it contains all check out. What kind of error you get exactly?

by Péter Karsai (Vamsoft) 8 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Blacklisted by the SPF Test (sender forged per policy of "emeralddoors.co.uk", SPF result: Fail).

(in reply to this post)

@simon.rochester: Hello Simon,

Can you please tell me the IP address from the Related IP column of the log for this event? It could be either that the IP did violate the SPF policy of emeralddoors.co.uk or your Intermediate Host List is missing a secondary MX or front-end.

(in reply to this post)

@Péter Karsai (Vamsoft): Related IP - 213.123.26.185
I have no idea what that server is, although NSLOOKUP says c2beaomr07.btconnect.com, why should that be the related IP?

(in reply to this post)

@simon.rochester: Simon,

It is because the email arrived from that IP address (as far as ORF knows), so ORF evaluated that IP address against the SPF policy of the sender. The SPF policy of emeralddoors.co.uk does not allow 213.123.26.185 to send emails in their name, so the email was considered forged and got blacklisted accordingly.

If this IP does not ring a bell to you (i.e. it's not your secondary MX or front-end), then it was either an unintentional or deliberate forgery.

(in reply to this post)

I guess that explains that then :)
Though I have no idea how that IP managed to be the senders IP.

Thanks for the clarification :)

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2