Exchange transport rules and ORF - ORF Forums

Exchange transport rules and ORF RSS Back to forum

Hello

Just a curiosity not necessarily a problem, but I'd like to see how the transport pipeline applies the ORF agent in relation to the built-in exchange transport rules in Exchange 2010

Specifically, if i "get-TransportAgent", i see the built-in Transport Rules at priority 1, and the ORF agents at priority 4 (some misc SMS stuff at 2 and 3)

That is to be expected, but where it gets weird for me is this situation:

At the transport-rules level in exchange, i have a regex which says "any message from outside the organization sent to people inside the organization which has a subject that matches the pattern ^$ reply with [these words]"

That is to say, any email sent to certain people inside, from anyone outside, where the subject line is blank, auto-reply with blah blah blah.

However, it's still logged in ORF as being whitelisted/blacklisted whichever it would have been without the transport rules - but doesn't actually get to the user even if ORF claimed it was whitelisted.

Basically, it looks like the transport-rules are happening, but the message is still going thru ORF, and ORF is acting on it too, but it doesn't get to the user. Almost as if the transport rules are happening AFTER ORF (but i can clearly see the order of precedence says transport-rules are before ORF)

Ideally that transport rule would block it before ORF even saw it... but it appears to be acting like ORF handles it first.

by Bryon more than 10 years ago

On the other hand, is there a function to set ORF BEFORE the transport rules, but have the transport rules not act on anything whitelisted by ORF?

@Bryon: This is because ORF Transport Agents hook events that occur earlier in the delivery (specifically, OnRcptCommand and OnEndOfData). These events occur during email SMTP transmission, while transport rules are evaluated only after the email is received, on the OnRoutedMessage event. Due to the different events and their natural order, agent priority cannot be used to alter the process - transport rules will always be evaluted after ORF done its job.

by Peter Karsai (ORF Team) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

@Bryon: Sorry, there is currently no way to do that.

by Peter Karsai (ORF Team) more than 10 years ago
(in reply to this post)

That makes perfect sense, thank you for explaining it how you did

New comment

Fill in the form below to add a new comment. All fields are required. If you are a registered user on our site, please sign in first.

It will not be published.
hnp1 | hnp2